Thomas Jefferson Quotes



       “The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money.”
- Thomas Jefferson

        “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.”
- Thomas Jefferson

       “Where the press is free and every man able to read, all is safe.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “A room without books is like a life without meaning.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “There is not a truth existing which I fear or would wish unknown to the whole world.” 
- Thomas Jefferson,

       “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “I cannot live without books.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “Religions are all alike- founded upon fables and mythologies.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “One man with courage is a majority.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “Educate and inform the whole mass of the people...they are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us that the less we use our power the greater it will be.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “Every Generation Needs a New Revolution” 
- Thomas Jefferson


       “The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “The most truthful part of a newspaper is the advertisements.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants .” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no hook beneath it.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground.” 
- Thomas Jefferson,

        “It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “I have no ambition to govern men; it is a painful and thankless office.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “Peace and friendship with all mankind is our wisest policy, and I wish we may be permitted to pursue it.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “An enemy generally says and believes what he wishes.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

        “I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

       “Those who expect to be both ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be.” 
- Thomas Jefferson