William Butler Yeats Quotes



    “Life is a long preparation for something that never happens.”
- W.B. Yeats


    “There is another world, but it is in this one.”
- W.B. Yeats


    “In dreams begin responsibilities.”
- W.B. Yeats 

     “...I'm looking for the face I had, before the world was made...”
- W.B. Yeats


     “For he would be thinking of love Till the stars had run awayAnd the shadows eaten the moon.”
- W.B. Yeats, 

    “The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.”
- W.B. Yeats

    “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.”
- W.B. Yeats


    “What can be explained is not poetry.”
- W.B. Yeats


    “There are no strangers, only friends you have not met yet.”
- W.B. Yeats


     “Hearts are not had as a gift but hearts are earned By those who are not entirely beautiful.”
- W.B. Yeats

    “To long a sacrifice can make a stone of a heart”
- W.B. Yeats

    “All empty souls tend toward extreme opinions.”
- W.B. Yeats

     “Too many things are occurring for even a big heart to hold.”
- W.B. Yeats


    “I whispered, 'I am too young,' and then, 'I am old enough'; wherefore I threw a penny to find out if I might love.”
- W.B. Yeats

     “The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.”
- W.B. Yeats 

     “Everything exists, everything is true and the earth is just a bit of dust beneath our feet.”
- W.B. Yeats

     “We taste and feel and see the truth. We do not reason ourselves into it.”
- W.B. Yeats


    “Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth. We are happy when we are growing.”
- W.B. Yeats

    “Hearts are not to be had as a gift, hearts are to be earned.”
- W.B. Yeats


     “The mystical life is at the centre of all that I do and all that I think and all that I write.”
- W.B. Yeats


     “People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition end by starving the best part of the mind. ”
- W.B. Yeats

     “It is so many years before one can believe enough in what one feels even to know what the feeling is”
- W.B. Yeats

     “And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?”
- W.B. Yeats


    “The creations of a great writer are little more than the moods and passions of his own heart, given surnames and Christian names, and sent to walk the earth.”
- W.B. Yeats

    “I kiss you and kiss you, With arms around my own, Ah, how shall I miss you, When, dear, you have grown.”
- W.B. Yeats


    “Ecstasy is from the contemplation of things vaster than the individual and imperfectly seen perhaps, by all those that still live.”
- W.B. Yeats

    “And I will find some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,/ Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings...”
- W.B. Yeats

     “I must lie down where all the ladders start, in the foul rag and bone shop of the heart.”
- W.B. Yeats

     “Sometimes my feet are tired and my hands are quiet, but there is no quiet in my heart.”
- W.B. Yeats


     “Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.”
- 
W.B. Yeats


    “I will arise and go now, for always night and day I hear lake water lapping...I hear it in the deep heart's core.”
- W.B. Yeats


    “Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.”
- 
W.B. Yeats


    “Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire.”
― W.B. Yeats


     “All empty souls tend toward extreme opinions.”
- 
W.B. Yeats 


     “Hearts with one purpose alone/Through summer and winter seem/Enchanted to a stone/To trouble the living stream.”
- W.B. Yeats

     “There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.”
- 
W.B. Yeats


    “Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends.”
- 
W.B. Yeats


   “Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry.”
- W.B. Yeats

     “But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.”
- 
W.B. Yeats


    “The innocent and the beautiful have no enemy but time.”
- 
W.B. Yeats