Socrates Quotes



       “I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.” 
- Socrates

       “Life contains but two tragedies. One is not to get your heart’s desire; the other is to get it.” 
- Socrates

      “There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.” 
- Socrates

       “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
- Socrates

      “I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think”
- Socrates


       “To find yourself, think for yourself.” 
- Socrates

      “Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.” 
- Socrates

      “The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our separate ways, I to die, and you to live. Which of these two is better only God knows.” 
- Socrates

        “The unexamined life is not worth living.” 
- Socrates

        “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” 
- Socrates

         “Let him who would move the world first move himself.” 
- Socrates

        “understanding a question is half an answer” 
- Socrates

        “Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.” 
- Socrates

        “The hottest love has the coldest end.” 
- Socrates

        “Every action has its pleasures and its price.” 
- Socrates

         “Thou should not eat to live; not live to eat.” 
- Socrates

        “How can you wonder your travels do you no good, when you carry yourself around with you?” 
- Socrates

         “To express oneself badly is not only faulty as far as the language goes, but does some harm to the soul.”
- Socrates


         “True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.” 
- Socrates

        “Give me beauty in the inward soul; may the outward and the inward man be at one.” 
- Socrates


       “The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.” 
- Socrates

        “The mind is everything; what you think you become” 
- Socrates

        “Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others.” 
- Socrates

         “He is not only idle who does nothing, but he is idle who might be better employed.” 
- Socrates

         “We cannot live better than in seeking to become better.” 
- Socrates

         “I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is to question oneself and others.” 
- Socrates

         “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” 
- Socrates

         “As to marriage or celibacy, let a man take which course he will, he will be sure to repent.” 
- Socrates

        “Think not those faithful who praise all thy words and actions; but those who kindly reprove thy faults.” 
- Socrates

        “He who is not contended with what he has, would not be contended with what he would like to have.” 
- Socrates

        “The secret to happiness, you see, is not in gaining more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less...” 
- Socrates

        “It is better to change an opinion than to persist in a wrong one.” 
- Socrates

          “Nobody is qualified to become a statesman who is entirely ignorant of the problem of wheat.” 
- Socrates

         “Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity.” 
- Socrates

        “To move the world, we must first move ourselves.” 
- Socrates

        “He is rich who is content with the least; for contentment is the wealth of nature.” 
- Socrates

        “The Only Thing I Know For Sure Is That I Know Nothing At All, For Sure” 
- Socrates

         “The definition of terms is the beginning of wisdom.” 
- Socrates

        “My plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred but a
proof that I am speaking the truth.” 
- Socrates

         “And in knowing that you know nothing makes you the smartest of all.” 
- Socrates