Ernest Hemingway Quotes



       “When you start to live outside yourself, it's all dangerous.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

      “The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


     “Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


     “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


     “The first draft of anything is shit.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


     “I drink to make other people more interesting.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


     “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


     “All thinking men are atheists.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway, 

     “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


     “Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

      “There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway 
       
      “It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

     “Never confuse movement with action.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


     “I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

     “The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway, 

      “Write hard and clear about what hurts. ”
- 
Ernest Hemingway



      “As a writer, you should not judge, you should understand.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “When you love you wish to do things for. You wish to sacrifice for. You wish to serve.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

      “But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated. ”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

       “All things truly wicked start from innocence.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “If two people love each other there can be no happy end to it.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “The first and final thing you have to do in this world is to last it and not be smashed by it.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “Never fall in love?" "Always," said the count. "I am always in love.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

     “In order to write about life first you must live it.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “God knows I didn't mean to fall in love with her”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

     “you can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

      “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

      “The hard part about writing a novel is finishing it.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway


      “I may not be as stong as I think, but I know many tricks and I have resolution.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

     “So far, about morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

       “I loved you when I saw you today and I loved you always but I never saw you before.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

      “And you'll always love me won't you? Yes
And the rain won't make any difference?  No” 
- Ernest Hemingway

      “The man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

      “But life isn't hard to manage when you've nothing to lose.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway

      “Cowards die a thousand deaths, but the brave only die once.”
- 
Ernest Hemingway